Knowle West Health Park has been commissioned by Bristol City Council to deliver free workplace health checks in Bristol North.
Pip A’Ness, Health Checks Outreach Worker:
“There are two ways in which workplaces can work with us:
1. Promote the health checks being offered locally in community venues to staff via email and noticeboards.
2. Alternatively, with sufficient interest from staff, I could come on site to deliver the 30-minute health check to eligible employees (registered with a GP within Bristol City Council), times to suit. There is no cost to the company other than provision of a room and promotion to staff.
We have now delivered some 750 health checks in over 30 different workplaces across Bristol in the past 12 months, including the Cater Road Business Park, South Bristol Community Hospital and the BRI, First Bus, Bristol Waste Company, Babcock, Midas Construction, Computershare and the DWP Jobcentres. Where men predominately make up the workforce this project is proving invaluable in getting men to talk about their health and make positive lifestyle changes when, traditionally, men delay seeking help until their health has deteriorated. Some 50% of the people I see are referred back to their GPs for high blood pressure or the ‘diabetes check’. Everyone receives advice around making healthier lifestyle choices. The simple Health ‘MOT’ can be a life-saver.”
Employees really appreciate this opportunity:
* Workplace is easier than making an appointment at the surgery. Felt more relaxed, didn’t feel rushed, every step explained. Very worthwhile. Should be adopted nationwide. (Female, 52)
* Very informative. I was very interested in the cholesterol guidelines – good/bad, etc. I am hoping that my health check will kick start my cycling/swimming regime. (Male, 59)
* Always expected things to be fine, but this underlines there’s no room for complacency, so exercise to be upgraded. (Male, 60)
If you’re interested in supporting this opportunity, please display the poster (download here) and/or contact Pip A’Ness on 0117 377 2255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.