Highways England (HE) is undertaking a scheme to install new driver information signs between junction 17 and 18 (northbound and southbound) on the M5.
The scheme will improve the quality and consistency of driver information along this stretch of the M5. It will give the South West Regional Control Centre greater visibility of this area of the network in order to detect and warn approaching traffic of any incidents or queuing ahead.
This scheme, when installed, should considerably improve the provision of the existing technology in place on this stretch of the motorway.
Start date: Saturday 15 September 2018 End date: July 2019
These works will be mostly carried out under narrow lanes to reduce the impact on the travelling public. However, HE will require some full overnight closures (21:00 – 06:00) of this section of the M5 at a number of points during the scheme:
- M5 south bound night closure – 15 Sept 2018 – 19 September 2018 for narrow lane installation.
- M5 north bound night closure – 20 Sept 2018 – 21 September 2018 for narrow lane installation.
- M5 both direction carriageway closure – 26 March 2019 – 02 April 2019 for gantry installation.
- M5 J18 south bound slip road night closure – 29 March 2019 – 01 April 2019 for cross carriageway ducting installation.
- M5 south bound night closure – 09 April 2019 – 12 April 2019 for narrow lane removal.
- M5 north bound night closure – 18 April 2019 – 20 April 2019 for narrow lane removal.
- M5 J17 south bound slip road night closure – 07 May 2019 – 08 May 2019 for cross carriageway ducting installation.
During these closures, fully signed diversion routes will be in place.
You can download a letter from Highways England with this information here.
If you have any queries or comments about the works and would like further information, please contact the Highways England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or by email: email@example.com